• Firehouse

User(s) browsing this forum: 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 4.43 Average

The Comic Book Thread

Offline Ryan Posted 11-02-2012 - 12:07 PM
Don Karnage, Sky Captain Of Yesteryear
3,162 Posts
Behold, the true future of Marvel NOW! Spoilers~!
Spoiler Show
[Image: 2afhit3.jpg]

[Image: 21mras0.gif]

Try this as well, kids at home.
Find Quote
Offline JBL Posted 11-02-2012 - 12:16 PM
King of Canada
5,980 Posts
I guess Peter's parker makes the Thing hard.

[Image: VeneratedDismalBichonfrise.gif]
Find Quote
Offline Liquid?! Posted 11-02-2012 - 12:43 PM
Posting Freak
910 Posts
Picked up Batgirl: The Darkest Reflection and Batgirl annual 1 today. Also got Talon #1 from last week to read still, and a random issue of Red Robin that I found through the week.

[Image: teamliquid_zpsf32b27e3.png]
Find Quote
Offline Eivion Thanatos Posted 11-02-2012 - 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
5,948 Posts
Darkest Reflection is good. Just don't expect a light-hearted book.
Find Quote
Offline Liquid?! Posted 11-02-2012 - 02:57 PM
Posting Freak
910 Posts
I'm looking forward to reading it, I've only been following since issue 9. I think Simone has really nailed the balance of light and dark, with heavy material contrasted by Barbara's quirky internal monologue. Quirky probably isn't the right word, but I think you'll know what I mean since you've been reading it.

[Image: teamliquid_zpsf32b27e3.png]
Find Quote
Offline Eivion Thanatos Posted 11-02-2012 - 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
5,948 Posts
Haven't read past the first volume, but I understand what you mean.
Find Quote
Offline LAR Posted 11-02-2012 - 03:34 PM
The Destructive Power
13,748 Posts
Read Captain Marvel #6. Basically, the whole reason Danvers got into Cobb's plane and tried to break her flight record in the first place was a result of a Cobb ruse: Cobb wanted her to achieve elevation so high that Danvers would go back in time, lead the Banshees, recover the artifacts from the machine that made her, end up with Cobb, see what made her Captain Marvel and decide if she wanted to change anything. Mar-Vell was getting a beat down in the scene, and Carol jumped in to save him, "because I'm an Avenger." In the explosion, Mar-Vell saved the Danver from that time, and the present Danver saved Cobb. The explosion resulted in Danver AND Cobb getting the Kree genes; that was the ruse from Cobb. Cobb figured Danvers didn't want to be Captain Marvel anymore, and wanted to teach her a lesson. They both started fighting, and then raced to Cobb's plane that flew over all the events. It turns out that Cobb's plane was the time machine.

Now the arc all makes sense. Looking forward to the next issue.

My next-to-read list includes Bedlam #1, Uncanny Avengers #1, the Shadow #6, the Spider #2-5, Wolverine MAX #1, Punisher MAX: Untold Tales #4-5 and a few other things.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 03:35 PM by LAR.)

2014 SSS NFL Thread Champion
179-87-1

[Image: tumblr_muizrgSJcE1qmlmeao4_500.gif]
[Image: tumblr_nmu7cwwank1s5xqvko8_250.gif]
Find Quote
Offline Eivion Thanatos Posted 11-05-2012 - 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
5,948 Posts
Thought Batman Vol 1: Court of Owls was a good read. I dug the general mystery behind the Court and how things were gradually revealed. Also dug Bruce's own refusal to believe in them and his reasons for disbelief. It was a nice and personal. Also dug Capullo's art. It particularly delivered during the mind screw labyrinth scenes. This is the first I've read of Snyder's Batman, and so far, I really like it. Nightwing Vol. 1: Traps and Trapezes is fairly solid and a decent addition to the Court of Owls story, but it was lacking a certain impact considering how personal everything involved is to Dick. I'm a little surprised Haley's circus was allowed to be twisted so much, but it was a good twist and a nice use of history invovling Bruce and Dick's world.

Also finished up Superman: Earth One Vol. Two last night. I dug the new look for the Parasite though his story was probably the least interesting thing here. Not that it was bad, just nothing particularly new. Still, its told well enough, and the fight scenes are nice. What was truly interesting here for me was Superman himself. I loved his characterization, how he sees humans, how he has lived his life, how people and governments themselves see him. It was quite nice and felt a bit more a realistic side of a how a Superman would be handled regardless fo his good intentions. I also like that Clark is bit more real as a person actually seeing into his frustrations. There is a great scene where you can really understand it, but also see why a Superman is such a frightening concept. I dug that they don't have Lois playing the fool this time around. And the appearances of the Luthors at the end hints to something interesting future developments as it obvious JMS plans to go with a fairly different take on Lex. Overall, I thought this was a step up from volume one (which I liked). It was well written and well paced with every plot point/story getting the right amount of time to breath with a good teaser of what one can assume will be the next big story for the series.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 04:10 PM by Eivion Thanatos.)
Find Quote
Offline LAR Posted 11-05-2012 - 04:16 PM
The Destructive Power
13,748 Posts
Shadow #6 effectively ended the arc. Its a shame that Ennis is leaving the series (unless something has changed), because I reckon he has some good Shadow stories left in him. But, here's hoping the next arc is good. At least we have more FuryMAX by Ennis to look forward to; FuryMAX #7 puts Nick Fury AND Frank Castle in Vietnam.

I liked Uncanny Avengers #1. The Alex/Scott conversation was good. Red Skull should make for an interesting adversary to this new version of the Avengers, although I'd like to see Red Skull have better henchmen than Goat Faced Girl. But, the juice to the issue was Rogue/Scarlet Witch, especially this tidbit:
Scarlet Witch Wrote:If you want to excite a crowd to violence, preach of peace and tolerance, and they'll tear you apart.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 04:17 PM by LAR.)

179-87-1

Find Quote
Offline Eivion Thanatos Posted 11-05-2012 - 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
5,948 Posts
Almost forgot, I also read Teen Titans: The Judas Contract. It was a tad dated, but was good overall. I am curious though as to how Terra ever ended up as a hero. I know she had two or three revivals as a good guy later on and was a good guy in the TT cartoons. It makes no sense to me though seeing that she was pretty damn evil here with seemingly nothing there that actually pushed she to become what she was. Also curious when Slade became a full blown villian seeing that he was a gray area mercernary like Deadshot here.
Find Quote
Offline dragonzombie Posted 11-06-2012 - 12:10 AM
Posting Freak
4,305 Posts
I still really enjoy reading Watchmen over and over to this day. The story and the characters are realistic and relatable, and the grim and grittyness gives it a nice vibe. Probably the best 80s comic story next to "whatever happened to the man of tomorrow".

Don't care much for the prequels, which imo should never had them. I'm really not comfortable with them being touched again by other creative teams.

I do however want to check out Morrisons Earth 4 multiversity story which will combine charlton characters with the watchmen elements and the rarely unused 9 panel grid style.
Find Quote
Offline LAR Posted 11-09-2012 - 08:42 PM
The Destructive Power
13,748 Posts
Read issue #9 of Fatale. Josephine's background continues to unravel, as Miles discovers a picture of her with a son. The Church finds and kills Suzy, and Hansel bathes in her blood during the sacrifice. Miles provides a sample of the Church's sacrifices/rituals, and sells it for $50 grand. He prepares to acquire a number of AK's, so they can take the cult's Compound down. Much to my delight, the bonus narrative in the issue revealed that Fatale has expanded from a 12-issue series to at least a 20-issue series. I can see this title going beyond 20 issues. Its a great read.

Shadow #7 was a single issue story, and the next arc begins soon. Cranston/The Shadow went after Red Raja, who slaughtered a bunch of Masters at their old dojo.

The new Evil Ernie is looking decent, too. First issue discussed Ernie attempting to kill his incarcerated father, and summarized the 665 murder spree he went on. Showed Ernie getting executed via electric chair, and then morphing into Evil Ernie.

179-87-1

Find Quote
Offline LAR Posted 11-10-2012 - 09:35 PM
The Destructive Power
13,748 Posts
New Deadpool was a fun read. I was a little concerned about the premise of the first arc, but then I remembered, its a Deadpool comic. Deadpool made a hilarious joke about Stephen Hawking, when the undead FDR was approaching him in a wheel chair.

The new Iron Man was really good, though. The prototype of a superhuman escaped from underground, and ended up in the hands of four people. In the meantime, Stark utilized a new version of his armor, and laid a few superhuman models to waste. Now, its a matter of finding the four people with the prototypes.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 09:35 PM by LAR.)

179-87-1

Find Quote
Offline LAR Posted 11-11-2012 - 03:52 PM
The Destructive Power
13,748 Posts
If you're a fan of Nick Spencer, you don't want to miss Bedlam. Its a pretty wicked take on the serial killer genre. Not just that, but the art work is fairly morbid; scenes with the main character/serial killer, the Madder Red, are mainly in black, white and red. Its a pretty gnarly read. I wish Spencer could have done another story arc or two with War Machine, AKA Iron Man 2.0; before the "Fear Itself" crap interrupted the story, the Palmer Addley arc in Iron Man 2.0 was good stuff.

Wolverine MAX's first issue was decent, but I want to see exactly where they're going with it. The artwork was fairly inconsistent; half of it was really good, and the other half was kind of shitty and difficult to even look at.

I'm thinking of starting a comic blog.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2012 03:53 PM by LAR.)

179-87-1

Find Quote
Offline Eivion Thanatos Posted 11-13-2012 - 03:18 AM
Super Moderator
5,948 Posts
Read the JMS Thor Omnibus which I assume collects his whole run on Thor. Thought it was good. I liked the way the Asgardians were revived into Midgard. I liked the building plot with Loki. Unfortnately it does feel a little rush at times and doesn't manage areal ending due to what I assume was JMS's leaving. Still it was good while it lasted. It the first Thor comic I've read and definitely left me wanting check out more though I'm not sure whats worth checking out.

Read Spider-man: Spider Island. Thought this was pretty good. The writing was good. The issues flowed together pretty well. And there were some good paypoffs/consequences for a decen amount of the characters. Overall I pretty much loved it. Spider-man: Flying Blind was solid and started what I can only assume is the build to Ends of Earth. Slott killing off the Winter Guard kind of annoyed me, but other than that hi stories were decent. Really dug the two parter Daredevil crossover by Waid. Loved the interactions between all of the characters, especially Felicia and Matt.

Read Captain Amercia: Road to Reborn and Captain America: Reborn. Road to Reborn was solid though mostly set up to the actual Reborn story. The actual Reborn story was pretty great. I loved pacing, loved the wiritng, loved the action, and I really loved its overall conclusion. it was nice to see the Skull finally put down alogn with Sharon back to form. I do wish that it took a little longer for Steve to return. It was really great seeing Bucky step and grow into the role of Captain America, but you know with Steve's return it can't last too much longer.

Also read Secret Warriors Vol. 1. So far its pretty soild though the idea of SHIELD being so horribly compromised for so many decades is a bit hard to swallow. I did like how Hyrda was built back up. Also dug the intial team of kid's along wioth the old SHIELD members joing back up with Fury. Was also nice figuring out what the hell happend to the SPEAR mentioned in Hickman's SHIELD (i read that first). I am curious as to how the hell it became Hydra though.

Finished up Star Wars Legacy with Volumes 8-10 and War. Pretty much loved it the whole thing including how it all ends. That said, itd oes seem to become rushed in the end which is disappointing as not every story gets to hit the emotional beat it should. There was alos a story with the Mandalorians that I'm guessing had to be skipped over to finish the main story. Still this was a great run and story on the whole. Might have to check out more of Ostrander's Star Wars stories if they are anything close to this quality.
Find Quote